Creating Offers For List Building Using OTHER Peoples Content...
In this tutorial I am going to go over one more time how we can use other people’s content to create offers to build an email list that we will use to make affiliate commissions.
The idea is simple terms is that we create what’s commonly known as “content upgrades” which means that we take content created and we add value to it by creating different formats of it.
This could be for example
- PDF Summary
- Chrome Extensions In Checklist Format
- WordPress Plugin
That’s to name just a few, I’m sure you could think up more and if you have some suggestions please feel free to add them to the comments below this post.
From this basic concept of content upgrades I have taken things in a slightly different direction to create a system that I call “Miniscraping”
Miniscraping was created as I looked at a Brian Dean strategy from Backlinko that works really well called the skyscraper technique.
The skyscraper technique is basically deciding which keyword you want to go after and looking at the content that is ranking for the keyword and has been shared and backlinked enough to be earning that content a LOT of traffic.
Brian did something brilliant and unique here, he wasn’t talking about going after long tail keywords (although his content pieces will rank for hundreds of keywords each blog post), instead he was going after MAJOR keywords that would typically take a lot of effort.
So here’s a breakdown of the skyscraper technique as I understand it..
- Find the best content that ranks for a Major keyword
- Create a bigger better and more up to date piece of “Epic” content around that keyword
- Approach the same people who shared the existing ranking content and offer them to check out this new (bigger, better, up to date, epic) piece that he had written and ask for the share or to replace their links to previous content with his.
Now that’s a very simple explanation of the skyscraper technique and I didn’t go into the details of formatting, where to find the people who to approach and so much more but you have enough there to get a reasonable understanding of the technique and how it works…And it REALLY does work very, very well if done properly as the numerous case studies from Brian’s audience and Brian himself have highlighted over at backlinko.
Although Brians approach is pretty straightforward there is a LOT of work in it but if you’re willing to get the work done the results can be spectacular, long term and save you a ton of money buying traffic.
In a nutshell Brians technique is SEO done properly!
But here's the problem…
From my viewpoint anyway... as a product creator, an SEO guy, a marketer and as someone who keeps myself stretched to the limit on stuff I need to do and keep on top of.
- Brian’s skyscraper technique is 20% content and 80% promotion
- The content itself could take days or weeks and it really should in order to be as epic as it needs to be and as epic as Brian makes his content.
Finally and this is the biggie for me as far as opportunity for those of us that are always looking for quicker, faster easier ways to get results without compromising quality….
- The content created (as epic as it is) is always longform and hard to get through and for most people they will feel the same and they will scan it. NOTE*** I’m talking about the average reader who comes to the blog via social recommendations, search engines and other blogs who have linked back to the content, I am not talking about the hard core white hat seo guys who will devour every word.
So as I mentioned this brings an opportunity and that is finding Epic content like Brian and others do regularly and provide the content upgrade in a form that people would like, enjoy and appreciate.
To take this further and make it clearer we do this in a very specific way by making that content upgrade of the epic content originally created by other people have TWO elements that MUST be there.
1. We create a list of takeaways from the content
2. We provide actionable tips from the content
This is what I call the miniscraper technique and If we can do this well then we have solved the problem for a lot of people who just browse and scan content without ever really getting or understand it properly.
We provide a list of takeaways from what the findings of that content is and we provide actionable tips to follow.
Usually I will put this in the form of a Google chrome extension, this way it can be enabled and disabled at any time and by using this format it is seen or perceived as a high value tool that people are willing to give you an email and subscribe to your list in order to get access to it.
By doing this I like to think that we have just added the final chapter on the highest quality content available on the net, and provided a solution to a major problem in that people want to know but don’t want to do more than scan and get the main points.
With me so far?
Ok so here's where it gets even more interesting, let’s break it down to types of content that we can use.
My example above is using epic blog post content but it doesn't have to stop there.
Here are some places that you can do miniscraper technique and add real value but don't forget to give credit to the original content creator, this is not optional, give credit where it's due.
We have all sat on webinars and wish we had the slides that the presenter was using so that we have a resource to refer back to. Miniscraping is perfect for this type of content!
Again we have all bought tools for example and wondered just what is the best ways to use it. As an example look at my affiliate promos and often you will see that when I am promoting a product I am often doing a webinar or have a section in the promo email or blog post review called “quick tips”
This is a form of miniscraping so let’s take a recent launch for a product by Abbas Ravji that I promoted called WP Content Ranker.
This is a wordpress plugin that does several things
- It analyzes the top ten ranking content in Google for keywords
- It scores the difficulty in trying to rank for that keyword
- It is a curation tool and Abbas had several case studies of ranking with zero backlinks using it for long tail keywords
- It is a tool that can also tell you how to beat your competition
How do we miniscrape that?
Well as it happens as I watched the demo video the first time I had my sticky notes out and I just typed what came into my head at the time.
It went something like this…
- Don't use for main site content
- Can use for interlinking content using a new wordpress folder on your main blogs
- Can use with an expired domain to later get 301 redirected to your blog post
- Can use to create page one rankings on separate sites for long tail or LSI keywords that your main blog post money site content is about and link from multiple page one LSI or long tail posts to your money site blog post
- Can be used for PBN content
- Can be used for network content for people in same niche where they use curated page 1 content on expired domains to link to each other
Ok now you can see there are some ideas here better than others but we have just created the skeleton of a content upgrade with takeaway and actionable tips.
In many niches you will find case studies done and often in the long form type of content, creating takeaways is easy, in fact often they come with takeaways and adding actionable tips makes these super easy to find and do
I won’t mention any particular sites here but you will notice with the popularity of content marketing over the years that people have built a business of blogging where they give high value content with research.
In fact some of this research is pure gold and it’s there to add the final chapter in the form of a content upgrade and use it to build a list.
You will notice that there are memberships often advertised where people give away a strategy for traffic, list building, facebook advertising, or whatever and even memberships full of that type of content using case studies, checklists and cheatsheets.
This is an opportunity to put your own actionable tips and thoughts on top of that and and create something as simple as a chrome extension for fifty bucks on fiverr and build huge lists in the internet marketing niche.
That’s just a few examples but if you keep you’re eyes open you will spot more.
Getting ideas for offers in order to build an email list for affiliate marketing is not hard, all you have to do is find content to miniscrape, put it into actionable tips, create a content upgrade, create a squeeze page and delivery page and a few autoresponder follow ups and drive traffic through internet marketing marketplaces, forums and blogs.
About the author
This blog is a journal documenting my thoughts, case studies, challenges and things i have learned, tweak and evolve on my internet marketing journey .