Google posts can be a very effective way to get added visibility and customers on Google but there is a way to do it to get maximum benefit with the added bonus of helping to rank your GMB listing in Google maps. Here I am going to outline all the steps required to ensure your GMB posts are killer attention grabbers and propel your listing up the rankings.
1. Ensure the image or video you upload to your post is eye catching, so it pops off the page when viewed.
2. Title the image or video the same as the title of the GMB post. Consider geo tagging the image with the coordinates of your local maps listing and adding your business name, address, phone number and web address to the comments section of the metadata. A good resource for doing this is https://massoptimizer.com/.
Image examples with sample metadata and geo tagging
3. When choosing the type of posts in Google my business we want one that allows us to put a title as titles are powerful for ranking. Google offers 4 types of posts as shown below.
We are primarily interested in Events and Offers as these allow us to add a Title to our post for added punch.
4. Choose a keyword rich title for your post. In this example of a fitness business we might Choose the Title 20% Off Fitness Classes In Currambine. I always capitalise the first letter of each word of my title as Google seems to prefer this format. Choose the dates you wish your posts to be active for.
5. Fill out the description of your offer and make sure to include some keywords but make it contextual and not spammy. I also add the link to the last posts that I have published to create a silo as the posts once published will form inner pages of your FREE GMB website.
You can find the link to your previous posts by clicking here.
6. Now share you posts to both Twitter and Facebook for added authority.
7. Consider Syndicating your content via a Free IFTTT network ( https://ifttt.com/) on all the social platforms google recommends.
This list comes straight from Google's own website so these are the social profiles considered most important by GOOGLE.
8. Consider running your post link through an indexer if you have one available.
9. Embed your posts in Google sites, blogs and any other appropriate properties.
10. Send traffic to the posts to really see some action!
I have used the technique described above to great effect time and again so I wish you every success in using it yourselves.