When creating a new site we need to take care of so many new website tasks and elements such as website security, on site seo, site speed and marketing elements.
Each one of these is essential so let’s do a brief overview of each and i will recommend some tools and services to speed things along at low cost.
Of course there are more tasks to be done outside of these 4 but as i have some low cost options for each i will cover these for now and do a separate post in other Set Up elements later.
We can use a wide range of plugins but the one i like to recommend costs just $19 for developers license and it has some very neat features for cleaning up your sites too.
I recommend WP Total Audit and here’s why…
- It Automatically Checks 17 Different Settings For Best Practices: In just 1- click you can check your site for security and performance “loopholes”.
- Your Site Could Be Vulnerable To Hackers: Things like the wrong file/folder permissions and default or identical keys/salts could leave your site wide open to hackers that can easily access your site.
- Protect Your Older Sites: With WordPress being so popular and widely used, that means there are some unscrupulous people who will target older, out of date WordPress sites specifically.
- For Both Brand New and Established Sites: This should be one of the first plugins you install on new sites. But, we also recommend installing and activating it on all of your existing or established sites to make sure they are setup correctly and securely.
- Installs In Seconds: The plugin is super easy to use. Just install, activate, and you’re good to go.
- I use this plugin myself on all of my own sites
Yep all of that in one single plugin, it’s great value and a great resource to have for all you’re new sites.
On Site SEO…
These tasks can be long ranging from setting up Yoast SEO plugin through to adding and verifying webmaster tools and google analytics.
This is so important and has several elements to it from cache plugins to adding a CDN, lazy load or delayed loading plugins for images and image optimization plugins like wp smush.
Fortunately there is a plugin that can take care of multiple elements of site speed without having to install multiple plugins
WP Rocket enables page caching, browser caching, GZIP compression, minification, CDN capabilities, and more.
WP Rocket is recognized as the most powerful caching plugin by many WordPress experts
GZIP compression can reduce HTML and CSS files by 50–70% of their original size.
Regarding caching plugins, many swear by W3 Total Cache, but it can be difficult to configure without a technical background. That said, it’s free, and WP Rocket isn’t.
If you’re willing to pay for quality, WP Rocket is an easy-to-use caching plugin. Here’s how it compares to other popular caching plugins on the market in terms of specific features.
Or, you can get a legitimate copy installed on your site by going over to fiverr.com here and it costs just $5 from people with genuine developer rights license, however if installing on many sites in future you are better to buy the plugin developer license yourself.
Marketing Elements ( Do This New Website Task Before Driving Traffic!)
We can all agree that we need to convert any traffic we get and this is where a lot of people miss an opportunity by not doing it right or sometimes not doing it at all.
I mean there is a lot of work in setting up a site, adding security, on site SEO, on page SEO for your posts and then driving traffic to your site too. It would be wasteful not top try and capture information needed to be able to connect with your website visitors and build an audience.
Fortunately we have multiple options that we can use and implement pretty easily and i like to break this down into three main elements.
- Email Optins by adding a simple optin form or two on your site that are designed to be noticeable but not too intrusive that people cannot get to your content without a struggle. There is nothing worse than over optimized marketing elements that just irritate people rather than nudge them to take up your call to action and leave without feeling annoyed.
- Push Notifications by adding a simple script from services like pushcrew who are to the best of my knowledge the most popular service around.
…But you can use Push Engage for free which allows for up to 2500 subscribers which otherwise costs $25 per month with pushcrew 🙂
This allows you to automate posting notifications whenever you add new content if you set up correctly as they show in their tutorials and fortunately its pretty easy to do.
- Retargeting by adding Pixels from Facebook and from Google Adwords.
I would advise you to add these even if you do not do paid traffic campaigns yet as it costs nothing and allows you to build up your audience in both platforms, and this can be expanded even further using Facebook lookalike audiences so that you have the option of low cost ad campaigns for as little as $5 a day!
Here are some tips and basic pointers for you…
- You can use free plugins like Sumo to add optin forms at no cost.
- The Full Page Overlay optin is the highest converting optin i have tested, sometimes its called a “welcome mat” and it loads when someone lands on your site.
- Offer something of value to get the email and do a proper follow up sequence from your autoresponder service.
- Read this post on how to easily create lead bait for free or low cost
- There are many autoresponder services around, it simpler to start with one you will be with long term.
- I use and recommend aweber for my email marketing services.
- Add one full page overlay as priority and one of either a slide in optin form or popup form, all of these are available with Sumo for free!